A wee happy list, enjoying all of the little things that have been making the past month so joyful.
- The Belfast Christmas market becoming a staple stop after my day
working at the Vine.
The prices are pretty high so I often leave empty-handed, but I love walking around, watching tourists giggle while taking pictures in front of City Hall,
and locals having great craic in line for the beer tent. The sounds, smells and sights give the ultimate Christmas spirit feeling! (Also getting to take the youth from Garnerville, and going with JoBo, Adam & Lauren).
- Wearing those paper crowns you see in British movies at Christmas dinners (and eating my first proper one with the lunch club at work!)
- The Paris climate change agreement. And #PrayForParis #PrayForPeace #PrayForTheWorld
- Mulled wine and mince pies (still deciding how I feel about the mince pies. . .).
- Carol and nativity services at Garnerville and The Vine (and getting to learn how to play the bass guitar in the process!)
- “A Head Full of Dreams” album, Coldplay. And unbelieveably excited after 12 years of fandom to finally see them live with my mum in June!
- Spending the afternoon at the Dock Café nestled in the Titanic Quarter, with amazing coffee, a comfy atmosphere, Christmas carolers, chilly winter air and seeing the first snow on the hills behind Samson & Goliath (the big yellow Harland and Wolff shipyard cranes).
- Cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies
on tv after an exhausting day. That kind of movie when you don’t feel like thinking too much and you can just enjoy the happy ending.
- “The Best of The Pogues”
- “Traveling Mercies” by Anne Lamott
- Cards in the mail from Grandma Leslie.
- Smelling peat fires burning on a rainy walk.
- The Advent carol service at Newtownbreda Pres.
- Christmas jumper party with my Garnerville house group, and Susie’s amazing baked Alaska!
- Baking my mum’s & my favorite Christmas cookie for friends and to eat with tea and coffee after church: ginger snaps!
- My favorite place in the world: wherever live music is to be had. There is no other feeling quite like it.
- Getting to be a part of Alex’s wedding, even thousands of miles away!
- Meeting Santa, face painting and watching Elf with the youth at Garnerville’s FoG Christmas party!
Cheers, Belfast! Thank you for these memories, friendships and new traditions. Thank you for being my home away from home.